Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Movies seen in 2006

Below is a list of movies I saw at the cinema in 2006. I watched a lot more on DVD too, but I didn't write them all down.

  • Brokeback Mountain
  • Walk the Line
  • Munich
  • Memoirs of a Geisha
  • A History of Violence
  • Inside Man
  • Riding Alone for 1,000 Miles
  • Fearless
  • Syriana
  • Azumi 2
  • The Sentinel
  • Just My Luck
  • The Lake House
  • A Scanner Darkly
  • The Banquet
  • The Departed
  • An Inconvenient Truth
  • Eternal Summer
  • The Prestige
  • The Road in the Air
  • A Battle of Wits
  • Perfume
  • Babel


I won't give them ratings or rank them all, but I will note a few of the movies which I thought were special.

I loved the Johnny Cash biopic Walk the Line. The music and superb acting performances from Reese Witherspoon and Joaquim Pheonix made this movie great.

What can I say that hasn't already been said about Brokeback Mountain. Stunning in every respect.

A History of Violence was a surprising and challenging film. I loved seeing Philip K Dick's novel A Scanner Darkly translated into film complete with rotoscoping. It might be true that Al Gore's documentary An Inconvenient Truth was little more than a PowerPoint presentation, but it was an important message at a critical time.

I love many of the recent Chinese historical dramas and kung-fu films. Of the few I saw this year I loved A Battle of Wits. It had a well developed and thought provoking plot carried by a great acting performance from Andy Lau. The Departed had an all star cast and I thought Leonardo DiCaprio proved himself to be a fine actor. The last movie I saw for the year, Babel, was also brilliant.

I look forward to seeing some more great movies in 2007.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home