Monday, August 24, 2009

Dean Dirt is dead



Today I found out the sad news that Magic Dirt bassist Dean Turner had died of cancer at age 37. I felt shocked and sad. I can still remember the first time I heard Magic Dirt on 3RRR and then went out to buy their EP Signs of Satanic Youth. Not long after that I saw them live at The Punter's Club in Brunswick Street.

Fifteen years later Magic Dirt is still my favorite band. The last time I saw them live was in 2001 in Hobart. I haven't followed their activities so closely in the last few years as I have been mostly living outside Australia. However, I still listen to their music often and will never forget some of their awesome live shows in Melbourne back in the 1990s.

I guess the biggest shock is that Dean is about the same age as me. It makes you realise that life is so impermanent. You never know how long its going to last.

Update: The video I embedded yesterday is now inaccessible. I have replaced it with another one. Magic Dirt have released a statement on their website.

As a founding member of Magic Dirt, Dean was the linchpin, the heart and soul of the band. He was the rock, the glue, the oracle, the cool filter. He was deeply dedicated and passionate about the music he made and the impact the band had on peoples lives.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home